The Cistercian convent of Frauenthal is located on the lower reaches of the Lorze. The convent was founded around 1240 by baron Ulrich von Schnabelburg. Since the 17th century the complex has been extended and renovated several times; the last time in 1997 when the convent underwent extensive exterior renovation.
The monastery church is completely in the style of the rococo period.
The monastery belongs to the Mehrerau Congregation. The convent currently (2020) has 15 sisters.