Engelszell Abbey was founded in 1293 by the Passau Bishop Bernhard von Prambach and settled by the Cistercians from Wilhering. In 1570, all monks died from the plague and only in 1618 a new beginning was made. In 1699 the monastery was completely destroyed by fire. Again with the help of the mother monastery Wilhering the monastery was rebuilt and reached its present state under Abbot Leopold Reichl around 1747. In 1786 Emperor Joseph II decreed the abolition of the monastery. The strict branch of the Cistercians, the Trappists, bought the Engelszell Monastery in 1925. In 1939 the monastery was confiscated by the Gestapo, the monks died in a concentration camp. In spite of everything, it was successfully rebuilt as early as 1945.
From 1954 to 57 the church was restored. The nave ceiling was redesigned with a modern painting by Prof. Fritz Fröhlich.
The renovated collegiate church with its 76m high tower presents itself in rococo style.
The altarpiece and the dome frescos are by Bartolomeo Altomonte
The monastery is especially well known for its excellent monastery liqueurs and the Engelszell Trappist cheese!
Danube cycle route