The Romanesque church "Dompeter" in Avolsheim
"Dompeter": from the Latin Domus Petri, the House Petri. The church is the oldest country church in Alsace, according to legend founded in the 1st century by St. Maternus on a Roman road. The remains of a basilica from the 7th century have been preserved. The present building was built in the 9th and 10th centuries, with extensions from the 11th century. The early Romanesque church, a low three-nave basilica with 6 pillar arcades, a three-part choir was consecrated in 1049 by Leo IX, the "Alsatian" Pope from Eguisheim. The Romanesque apse was replaced in 1823 by the present-day choir.
left side portal
right side portall
The simple, Romanesque interior