Church of St. George
St. Georg was founded in 1143. The church building shows the
elemental force of the Romanesque style, but the choir and transept are the
result of a reconstruction in the 13th century. Various chapels were added
from the 13th to the 16th century, the net vault in the nave 1609-11 by the
Molsheim Jesuits, who took over the parish in the course of the
In St. George, a crucifix and two winged altars from the 15th century, a sacrament house created by Hans Hammer in 1523 and, unfortunately unmissable, the windows by Jacques Le Chevalier (1956), which do not necessarily harmonise with the room, deserve attention. The pulpit, which was designed by Veit Wagner after 1500, is remarkable, albeit heavily restored, with the loving depictions of the George legend at the staircase, as well as of church fathers and evangelists.
Flower fountain near the church
The city of Hagenau was founded by the Count of Egisheim. The town was inherited and expanded by the Staufers. Friedrich Barbarossa elevated it to the status of an imperial Pfalz.