Another rainy day greets us. But we have already got used to rain. Well equipped, we march off.
Through an alley, along forest and field paths and side roads we come to the Löbauer Wasser and are amazed at how much the stream has already swollen.
We cross the water at this romantic bridge.
The footbridge is a little slippery and not entirely safe.
We all arrived safely and walk downstream on the right bank until the path sinks into the high water and we have to climb up the slope.
Further up, it goes on peacefully until I miss a branch standing across because of the rain hat and get a massive blow on the forehead.
This pain also subsides and soon we are in Gröditz, where we take a short break at the church (closed).
After just under four kilometres we are in Wurschen and walk up to the castle, where we hear its history (see below).
Around 1000 AD, Wurschen was the site of an early German moated castle.
In 1720, the castle was built in the late Baroque period by Rudolph Wilhelm v. Ziegler and Klipphausen (1688 - 1749) in its present external form.
The castle was rebuilt several times. Wall paintings most probably date from the Renaissance period.
In 1758, during the course of the Seven Years' War (Battle of Hochkirch, 14 October 1758), Wurschen and the castle were also shelled with artillery by the Austrians during their retreat.
Napoleon Bonaparte stayed overnight at Wurschen Castle from 16 to 17 July 1807. He came from the signing of the "Tilsit Peace" and travelled back to Paris via Bautzen.
On the eve of the Battle of Bautzen (Wurschen) on 19/20 May 1813, the castle served as the allies' headquarters. It housed the allied army camp of the Russian Tsar Alexander and his ally, the Prussian King Frederick William III. Famous generals and field marshals were also here. A table that still exists on the upper floor served as a base for the staff maps.
After the battle, which was victorious for Napoleon, a commemorative coin was minted and the inscription Wurschen at the Paris Arc de Triomphe followed.
We climb up to the castle hill of Drehsa.
Drehsa Castle was built around 1870 and rebuilt and extended in its present form in 1911. A predecessor building existed since at least 1627. The owners are known to be the Lords of Gersdorff, Metzradt von Einsiedel, the Princess zu Lippe-Weißenfeld and several middle-class families. In 1891, landowner Baron von Bleichröder had the park laid out according to the English model. After the end of the war, Drehsa Palace was used by the Soviets until 1947. It was then used as a TB sanatorium for 10 years and subsequently as a children's home. After the castle had been empty for a long time and was in need of renovation, this necessary work is now being carried out after it was sold into private hands.
Observation tower near Drehsa Castle.
Waystone on the Via Regia.
Another small hill has to be overcome in the rain. There are no more photos of the way to Bautzen because of the rain. We also took the bus for the very last part.
Later in the afternoon we arrive in Bautzen and move into our quarters at the Hotel goldener Adler.