We leave Kamenz through the monastery gate ...
... and pass the monastery church of St. Annen.
The way leads us to the "Hutberg".
There is a Lessingwarte up there. We have renounced the ascent because of fog.
On side roads we march towards Schwosdorf.
At the entrance to the village we come across a post milestone from 1723.
The pilgrim hostel of Schwosdorf was lovingly built by the association "PRO Wal-und Wüsteberg". The huge solar panel system on the roof will probably provide little electricity today.
After Schwosdorf we walk for a long time through the Koitsch forest ...
... to Reichenau.
Another forest section leads to Königsbrück. On the way a Via Regia marker with explanation of resin extraction.
Königsbrück is known as the "gateway to Westlausitz" and was first mentioned in a document in 1248 as "Kunigensbruk".
The development of the town is closely linked to that of the castle. Where the "Hohe" Street crossed the Pulsnitz River, a street castle was built at this important ford at an early stage, from which the castle complex later developed. The castle was destroyed by the Six Towns League in 1355 and later rebuilt. Opposite the castle complex, the small town of Königsbrück with its now more than 400-year-old main church developed.
After extensive renovation, the castle is now privately owned.
On the way along the pilgrimage route through Königsbrück
The town hall of Königsbrück
The town hall square
Via Regia stele at the entrance to the castle.
The main church (Marienkirche, or "Unserer lieben Frauen") of Königsbrück originally dates from the 14th century.
The poorhouse, today a modest pilgrim hostel.
After Königsbrück we hike again for a long time through a beautiful forest. At a crossroads we take a group photo. Everyone still has their rain gear on. But it does not rain at all, but only 10 minutes later.
Vreni sits (in the rain) on the "Esther Heisse" bench. Esther Heisse was one of the initiators of the ecumenical pilgrimage.
The church of Tauscha.
For today we have hiked enough and cover the rest of the way with the escort bus
The pilgrimage route passes by the "fairy tale castle" Schönfeld. Here are two pictures from sunny days.
Schönfeld Castle in the Saxon municipality of Schönfeld was first mentioned in documents as a moated castle in the 13th century and was further expanded over the centuries. Until the early 15th century, the Schönfeld noble family sat here. The buildings date back to the years 1560 to 1580. In 1882, Baron von Burgk acquired Schönfeld Castle and had it rebuilt by 1884. Today Schönfeld Castle is one of the most important neo-Renaissance castles in Saxony.
A pilgrim hostel was established in 2003.
"Only 2980 km to Santiago" is written at the entrance of Grossenhain.
St. Mary's Church in Grossenhain from above ...
.... and the town hall from below