The foundation stone of the most beautiful late Gothic hall church in Main Franconia was laid by Bishop Gerhard von Schwarzburg in 1377. The choir and nave were completed around 1440, and the neo-Gothic spire is crowned by a gilded double Madonna from the beginning of the 18th century. During the air raid on Würzburg on March 16, 1945, the roof truss and the wooden interior burned.
Despite its size, it is a chapel in terms of ecclesiastical law, since the building was erected as an expiation by the citizens and therefore was not endowed with parochial rights.
Marienkapelle (Marian Chapel)
Christ and James in the Lady Chapel. Christ carries the world, James the walking stick
The sculptural decoration of the facade is particularly rich. The arched fields of the portals from the early 15th century are remarkable. The south or market portal shows the coronation of Mary. To the right and left are the figures of Adam and Eve standing under canopies. These works were created by Tilman Riemenschneider starting in 1490. The original figures were removed in 1894 and are now in the Mainfränkisches Museum at the Marienberg Fortress.
Marian Chapel, interior view with the Gothic winged altar (Nativity of Jesus, Annunciation of Mary, Adoration by the Three Magi)