The Benedictine monastery on the island of Reichenau was founded in 724 and was the priory of the bishop of Constance from 1540. Along with St. Gallen and Fulda, it is one of the most important monasteries of the Carolingian period. The monastery was dissolved in 1803.
The west porch rises up into the sky like a bulwark.
Pictures from various visits:
The Romanesque structure of the three-nave cross basilica (consecrated in 1048) is well preserved. The lattice to the Gothic choir, which was added later, dates from the 18th century.
In the choir, under a floor slab, is the tomb of Emperor Charles III. (the Fat). Charles III died in Neidingen in 888 and was buried on the island.
The open roof truss with oak beams from the 13th century is impressive.
The St. Mark's shrine (copy) in the hall of the west building is a work from the early 14th century. The reliquary is covered with gilded and chased silver plates. On each of the long sides there are five representations from the life of Mary and the Passion of Christ. On the narrow sides, the founders of the shrine, King Albrecht and Queen Elisabeth, can be seen kneeling as they present the sceptre and orb to the apostle Mark. In addition, a "judgment of God" is depicted, which was used to prove the authenticity of the relic of St. Mark: The bearer of the relic, a Venetian merchant, had to hold one hand in boiling water and at the same time put the other hand on the shrine. Since he did not burn himself, the authenticity of the relic was proven.
The original of the shrine is kept in the treasury of the cathedral.
In a side chapel this James is in the circle of the other eleven apostles.
The court of the former monastery