Shortly after Dully we march here towards Gland. Today we have a lot to do. A long (24km) stage is ahead of us.
In Gland (Montoly) there is a pilgrim hostel - does not look very inviting yet.
It was opened on 26 May 2013. The hostel can accommodate 7 to 12 people. The overnight stay costs Fr. 10.-. Sanitary facilities and kitchen are generously equipped, a WLAN is available. Seven volunteers take turns in the Hospitalero service. Access to the hostel is granted to pilgrims with an identity card after registration by telephone, using a code given to them, which serves as "open sesame seeds".
Interior photo on the occasion of the opening
Here we make a pilgrimage through Prangins on the Way of Saint James.
At the sign you would turn left towards the castle of Prangins.
The baroque castle of Prangins was built on the ruins of an older complex from 1732 for the French banker Louis Guiguer. Since 1975 it has been owned by the Swiss Confederation and since 1998 it has housed the headquarters of the Swiss National Museum (SNM) in French-speaking Switzerland.
We reach Nyon and walk to the castle there.
The castle of Nyon
at the eastern end of the old town was built in the 13th century. It initially served as a residence for the Counts and Dukes of Savoy, and in the Bernese period for the bailiffs. The original building was greatly extended and redesigned between 1574 and 1583. The castle has a square ground plan with four side towers. It now houses the Musée historique et des porcelaines.
View from the castle terrace in Nyon
We and Gajus Julius Caesar.
He founded the city.
The Reformed parish church of Notre-Dame
emerged from a former priory church. It was built in the 12th century on the site of a church which was probably built before 700. The current construction of the church is largely from the 14th century, with vaults and side chapels built between 1471 and 1781. Parts of the choir and the mural paintings are preserved from the Romanesque period. Major alterations were made in the 18th and 19th centuries, and the bell tower was rebuilt in 1934.
Shortly after Nyon, this pilgrim, unaware that her son had also been photographed in the same place, goes to Nyon - move the mouse over the picture.
The path through the Bois Bougy is muddy. The shoes look accordingly.
After the woods, we walk along the railway tracks and then uphill again to Crans-près-Céligny. Here we walk through the village, past the town hall.
The next village is called Céligny. It has five Jacques shells in the municipal coat of arms.
Before Commugny we discover this sign in a garden.
The church of Saint-Christophe in Commugny stands on the site of a former Roman villa. The foundation stone for the first church was laid as early as the 6th century. Most of the present building dates from the 15th century.
With 24 km in our legs we arrive in Mies slightly exhausted. Here in the hotel La Couronne (to the crown) we stay overnight.