Court Church (Hofkirche)
„Lucerne, a city fine, named after light and shine“
In the year 503 after Christ's birth, during the lifetime of St. Benedict, who preached the Christian faith, various people - may God rest their souls - in the courtyard, where the dignified church of St. Leodegar now stands in the courtyard of the laudable city of Lucerne, there was a glow everywhere as if it were burning. For this reason, a chapel was added at one end of the church in the same year, the St. Nicholas Chapel. The Duke of Swabia then built a monastery there. Its patrons were the saints Mauritius and Leodegar. Abbot Wichard placed the monks under the rule of St. Benedict. Because at the house of God the light was still seen, as if there was a fire there, the monastery was called Monasterium Luciaria ("light monastery"). This gave the laudable city of Lucerne the name "city of light".
Source: (Lütolf, Alois, sagas, customs and legends from the five towns of Lucerne, Uri, Schwyz, Unterwalden and Zug. Lucerne: F. J. Schiffmann, 1862. Reprint: Hildesheim: Georg Olms, 1976, No. 392)
It is historically proven that already in the 8th century, there was a small monastery here whose patron was the holy Mauritius. In the 12th century the monastery became dependent on Murbach, became a provostry and took over the patron saint of Murbach, St. Leodegar.
The foundation of Lucerne is attributed to Abbot Konrad of Murbach at the end of the 12th century. A document documents the construction of St. Peter's Chapel on Kapellplatz and the appointment of a priest (Leutpriester) independent of the monastery.
In 1291 the monastery was sold to the Habsburgs. In 1433 the city of Lucerne, now a member of the Swiss Confederation, regained all rights over the monastery and in 1455 the Benedictine monastery was converted into a secular canonical monastery.
In 1633 the church burned down to its foundation walls. Only the Gothic relief with the representation of the Virgin Mary and the church treasure were saved. The church was rebuilt in the late Renaissance style, including the Romanesque towers.
At the entrance gate we are greeted by Saint Leodegar (left) and Saint Mauritius (right).
The two saints can also be found in the entrance hall on the left and right side
Nave with main altar
In the left side aisle there is the gothic Maria End altar. The dying Mary sits in bed and is surrounded by the apostles.
Above the altar there is the Walpen organ from 1844, which was built by Thomas Silvester Walpen from Valais. The organ has been restored.
The right side altar, the soul altar shows the removal of Jesus from the cross
Baroque baptismal font in black marble
This is what Lucerne looked like in 1642.
Interesting is the covered bridge to the church at the court, which unfortunately no longer exists. What a tourist attraction that would be today!