Way from Sinspelt to Mettendorf
The church of St. Margaret of Mettendorf was originally built in 1063 and replaced by a new Gothic building in 1447. The church was completely destroyed during World War 2 and rebuilt in 1949.
Detail of the Way of St. James plaque by the church.
Having lost our way a little, we correct the error.
Back on the Way of St. James, ...
... which sometimes leads quite steeply uphill.
The village of Nusbaum was first mentioned in 1317 as a property of Echternach Monastery, but also shows traces of settlement from the Stone Age. The 19th century church is dedicated to St. Peter.
The board shows 2400km to Santiago. In fact, it is a little more, at least 2460km.
Rock formations in the forest
We also pass a prehistoric ring castle (Viking castle), probably from Celtic times. Apart from a tablet, only ditches and slight elevations can be seen.
Fraubillienkreuz (Fraubillien cross)
The menhir stands northwest of Ferschweiler in the forest at a crossing of hiking trails. The Fraubillenkreuz is a menhir that is about 3.30 metres high today and has been reworked into a cross shape. It is estimated that it used to be over 4 metres high. The menhir was probably chiselled into a cross in the course of the Christianisation of the region in the 9th century. According to legend, it was the Irish wandering monk St. Willibrord of Echternach Monastery who personally carved it. In addition, niches were carved into both flat sides of the menhir, apparently for figures of saints.
iimpressive rock formations
The road leads downhill to Bollendorf.