At lunchtime we arrive in the city of Biberach through the Ulmer Tor and make our way first to the Martinskirche and then to the beautiful market place..
It is the only preserved town gate that was built with the town expansion in the middle of the 14th century, thus replacing the bourgeois tower as the town gate. In 1820, the free-standing bell tower was erected, which rang the bell for the evening collection of the geese, the so-called "Gausappell".
Church square in Biberach. The Martinskirche (left) is used by both confessions since 1548.
The Biberach market square is one of the most beautiful market squares in southern Germany and was probably built in the 12th century. Worth seeing are the magnificent town houses around it, the donkey monument by Peter Lenk and the market fountain.
The Biberach Donkey, according to the satire of Biberach's famous philosopher and poet Christopf Martin Wieland "Der Prozess um des Esels Schatten" (The Trial of the Donkey's Shadow)
Click on the donkey to enlarge!
The town houses date from the 15th and 16th centuries. They bear witness to the wealth of the free imperial city of Biberach.
The knightly figure of the market fountain holds in her left arm the coat of arms of Biberach, created in 1488 - the golden beaver on a blue background. Click on the figure to enlarge!
The white house with the stepped gable is the New Town Hall from 1503.
The market place can also be admired via WEBCAM. (Click there on LIVESTREAM).
In the background you can see the gothic, baroque church St. Martin.
The church is the most striking 14th century Gothic building in the town and has been used by both confessions since 1548, making it one of the oldest simultaneously used churches in Germany. After a serious fire caused by lightning in 1584, the tower was rebuilt. Inside, the church was given a baroque look in the mid-18th century and decorated with a monumental ceiling painting by Johannes Zick.
The Holy Spirit Hospital was founded in 1239 as a charitable institution for all citizens. Until today it owns forests and runs the citizens' home (old people's home).
The Gred (or lower crane), is a 60m long half-timbered building.
The White Tower is part of the former town fortifications and was completed in 1484 after eight years of construction as a typical watch and defence tower. It has walls up to 2.80 metres thick, is 41 metres high and has a diameter of 10 metres. Prison cells were built into the tower at the beginning of the 19th century. Today the White Tower houses the club rooms of the St. George Scouts.
Äpfingen - Biberach
back: Ulm - Biberach
continue to Bad Waldsee